Here's What You Get:
One prental visit to prepare for your birth, in addition to unlimited phone, email & text support throughout your pregnancy.
Uninterrupted Labor Support
Starting two weeks prior to your due date, I will be on-call until your labor begins. You will then have uninterrupted, continuous care until your baby arrives.
Postpartum care takes place in your home. We process your birth story and assess how you and your newly-expanded family are adjusting.
A Little About Me
Helping You Have the Best Experience Possible
Giving birth is an experience you will remember for the rest of your life. My hope, as your doula, is for you to remember this life-altering day as a positive one. Whether you are planning to give birth at a hospital or at home, medicated or unmedicated, I want you to feel supported throughout the entire journey.
I was trained at Bastyr University's Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations four years ago and I received my Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies in 2001. I am also a member of PALS Doulas. My husband and I live in the High Point neighborhood of West Seattle and both of us currently work out of our home while caring for our two boys, Gryffin & Isaiah.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a birth doula?
- Doula is a greek word meaning "woman's helper," and originated when women gave birth in their homes surrounded by other women. A birth doula provides informational, emotional & physical support and comfort to a woman & her partner throughout the pregnancy, birth, & postpartum period.
- Why should I hire a doula?
- Recent studies found the following benefits for women who enlisted the help of a doula...
- 25% shorter labor
- 33% less likely to be dissatisfied with their birth experience
- 36% reduction in use of pain medications
- 40% reduction in pitocin use
- 50% reduction in forceps delivery
- 52% reduction in cesarean rate
- 60% reduction in epidural requests
And six weeks postpartum, mothers were
- less anxious and depressed
- more confident with baby
- 23% more likely to be breastfeeding
- I thought all doulas were super "crunchy" and only assisted home births or water births or whatever. Are you opposed to hospitals or epidurals?
- Not at all! I think every woman should have a doula support them throughout their pregnancy, birth & postpartum period, regardless of their choices for labor & delivery. Our culture & society are not set up well to support women through this major life transition so a doula is essential. My hope as a doula is for you & your partner to have the best possible birth experience, in whichever setting you feel most comfortable, with or without pain medication. We will work as a team to ensure that you are confident, comfortable, and informed as you make the decisions and plan for your labor & delivery.
So How Does This Work?
I am happy to meet with you to answer any questions you might have and get to know you. This is free of charge with no obligations.
Birth Doula Services
Should you decide to hire me, here are the services that will be provided...
- 1 Prenatal visit to get to know one another and come up with a birth plan
- Unlimited support (email, text, phone) throughout your pregnancy
- On-call 24/7 starting 2 weeks prior to your due date
- Continuous, uninterrupted labor support, from beginning to end, regardless of the length of your labor
- Photography, if desired -- your camera or mine
- In-home postpartum visit following your birth
My fee is $900. A deposit of $450 is due with your signed contract at our first prenatal visit. You will be billed for the remaining $450 following your birth. I also offer a sliding scale for those with a limited income.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or
to see about reserving a spot on my calendar.
Send me a message or give me a call @ 206.659.7878
- Thank you for being such an integral part of the birth of our child! We are certainly glad that we didn't have to do it without you. We're already talking you up with our pregnant friends... read more » Jeff & Teri
- Thank you Nancy for helping the birth of our daughter go so smoothly, and especially for capturing those once in a lifetime moments for us!
read more » Shannon & Walker